• 2 cups Kagayaki short grain rice
• 2 cups bottled water
• 1/4 cup Marukan Rice Vinegar
• 2 tablespoons cane sugar
• 2 tablespoons Gekkeikan Sake
- Wash rice. DO NOT use the bottled water for this step. It will be used for cooking the rice.
Put rice in a medium saucepan that you will use to cook rice and add water to cover the rice. Using your hand, lightly stir the rice to remove the starch. Do this until the water becomes clearer. Drain the rice in a strainer and let it rest and drain for 30 minutes.
- Return rice back to saucepan and add your 2 cups of bottled water.
- Bring rice to a boil. After bringing the rice to a boil, add a lid and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rice rest in steam for 20 minutes. DO NOT remove lid during this time.
- Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and saké. Set aside.
- Once the rice is steamed, place the rice in a large bowl, preferably a wooden bowl. It helps the rice to cool more quickly.
- Pour the rice vinegar mixture over the rice and mix with a side by side chopping motion using the edge of your spoon (preferably a wooden spoon). This prevents the rice from becoming mushy while letting air escape.
- Allow rice to cool down thoroughly before serving.