• 12 strips (uncooked) bacon cut into small pieces
• 6 Tablespoons butter
• 2 white onion chopped
• 6 large garlic cloves minced
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 5 lbs gold potatoes peeled and diced
• 8 cups chicken broth
• 4 cups milk
• 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
• 3 teaspoon Himalayan salt
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (California style)
• 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 2 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper
• 1 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Place bacon pieces in a large Dutch Oven or soup pot over medium heat and cook until bacon is crisp and browned. Remove bacon pieces and set aside for toppings, leaving the fat in the pot.
2. Add butter and chopped onion and cook over medium heat until onions are tender.
3. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
4. Sprinkle the flour over the cooked onions and whisk until smooth.
5. Add diced potatoes to the pot along with chicken broth, milk, heavy cream, salt, red pepper flakes, pepper, and chili powder. Stir well.
6. Bring to a low boil and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
Reduce heat to simmer.
7. Remove approximately half of the soup to a blender (be careful, it will be hot!) and puree until smooth. Return to the pot and add sour cream. Stir well.
8. Allow soup to simmer for 15 minutes before serving.
*Top with additional sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, or chives.