• 1 box spaghetti, or homemade
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
• 2 tablespoons butter
• juice of half a lemon
• 3/4 cup finely grated parmesan
cheese, plus more for serving
• 3/4 cup reserved pasta cooking water
• 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Cook pasta as directed on box.
- Once the pasta is halfway done, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, approximately 3 minutes. Lower heat, add your red pepper flakes and red bell pepper, and stir. Cook peppers until hot.
- After the pasta is cooked, transfer the pasta directly from the water to the garlic mixture with tongs. (It’s OK if water gets into garlic mixture; this will help loosen the sauce.) Stir thoroughly to coat pasta.
- Add butter and lemon juice, stirring with tongs until butter is melted.
- Add the cheese and pasta cooking water, stirring vigorously until the cheese evenly covers the pasta. Add more water if needed.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, cheese, and serve.